Improve Leadership & Inspire Performance!
Ground Rules for Leaders
"Power in an unprepared manager's hand is like giving him or her a scalpel and saying, 'Do surgery on your people.' Risky."
New leaders, mid level managers and executives – any leader who is feeling the pressure to perform — needs to know the essential, yet often, unspoken ground rules of building cohesive leadership relationships. For those who need a dose of reality and practicality, This keynote, drawn from Phil’s popular book, Leaders Ought to Know, delivers leadership strategies that propel managers into respected, integrity-based leaders — leaders with staying power — leaders who can perform at ever increasing levels of responsibility. When practiced consistently, these leadership strategies help leaders know:
- How to motivate — not manipulate — to get results
- How to communicate with honesty, integrity and confidentiality
- How to earn the respect of those you lead
- How to manage fear and control emotions
- How to take responsibility and be accountable
“Everyone loved you! I have added you to my list of ‘must invite back’ :) “
~ Angie Bierwerth, FMP, Manager, Administrative Services, AgriBank/Farm Credit Bank
We Need to Talk: Building Trust When Communicating Gets Critical
"Leaders who find it hard to listen, often find it hardest to lead."
Knowing how to communicate is a huge factor in leadership and organizational success. A leader’s ability to communicate impacts all facets of business operations — bottom line issues like: sales and production — customer and employee relationships — productivity, cost reduction and profitability. For leaders who need help with their communication skills, this keynote, based on Phil’s book by the same title, presents six commonsense strategies that help leaders immediately improve the results of their communications efforts. When applied to their own enterprises, managers and front line staff understand:
- How to improve employee morale through listening skills
- How to reduce conflict and improve team relations by building trust
- How to rein in “brutal honesty”
- How to rebuild believability when truthfulness hasn’t always been practiced
- How to deliver difficult or sensitive messages with tact
- How to get results by ensuring messages are interpreted correctly
“Your presentation was very insightful..you were a big hit!”
~ Betsy M. Natz, CEO, Kitchen Cabinet Manufacturers Association
Motivating Managers, Millennials & Misfits
More than any other issue, leaders struggle with how to motivate employee performance — yes, the performance of Millennials, but also the performance of other generational employee groups. Whether it’s Millennials, Baby Boomers, Gen Xers, or the up-and-coming Gen Zers you’re working with, learn the methods that really motivate individual employee performance long-term.
- Learn the secrets to communicating with Baby Boomers, Gen Xers, Millennials or Gen Zers
- Learn two motivational truths that apply to all generational groups
- Identify five clues to an employee’s level of motivation
- Explore methods to discover what will motivate each employee
“Most inspiring, engaging and practical presentation I’ve heard in a long time. Thank you for your insights @philvanhooser!”
~ Stacy Ranieri, President, FireflyGroupPR @outofthejar
Professionalism Is a Choice
"Successful people choose to do the things unsuccessful people could have done -- should have done -- but consciously chose not to do."
Is the unprofessional “good enough is good enough” mentality costing your organization money, market share and reputation? In this keynote presentation, discover practical ways to set yourself apart from the competition and save your organization the high cost of unprofessional choices. Set your organization ahead of the competition by knowing:
- How to solve problems rather than assign blame
- Why integrity cannot be compromised — ever
- How to reverse the negative habits of whining and whispering
- The personal and professional costs of immoral or unethical choices
- That perfection is impossible — but excellence and continuous improvement are essential
“I’m thrilled with the very positive results and thank you for sharing your wit and wisdom. It was a great message to start our meeting!”
~ Amy Hunt, Director of Meetings & Education, SIFH
It's Your Call: Tools & Rules for Big League Decision Making
"When the vision is clear, decisions are always easier."
It’s Your Call: Tools & Rules for Big League Decision Making will show you and your team how to take the lead in making smart decisions. From Phil’s training at Wendelstedt’s School for professional umpires, his work in Employee Relations, Human Resources and Safety Training, and his experience as a leadership training expert for top U.S. companies, you will:
- Discover the importance of having the necessary – but seldom taught -- tools for decision making.
- Assess your understanding of the written -- and unwritten -- rules for smart decisions.
- Consider how you are positioned before making critical decisions.
- Understand the factors affecting how and when to make “the call.”
“Your honest, authentic, customized approach allowed for an immediate connection with our employees. Your real world illustrations and stories got their attention and drove home the relevance of the message you shared. Simply put, our people saw the value in your words and trusted what you had to say.”
~ Robin Seele, Director of Safety & Training, Westar Energy